Hop leaves stiff and curling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash568

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498910508.450590.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498910521.715895.jpg

So my chinook has always been in rough shape but I have never seen this before. The leaves are still green and look fine aside from the curling and stiffness. It's happening near the top and I am noticing 1-2 leave at the top of my cascade that look the same. Chinook is 3rd year and cascade is 4th also have a sorachi and looks like there's no sign of it there. All three are in the ground and I have not fertilized this season at all.

Do you know what a leaf hopper is and how to check for them? That kind of looks like what happens when they start feeding on your plants. Looking at the picture on the left, I see a slight yellowing of the leaf on the left side towards the bottom... that discoloring might be hopper burn, which is the resultant of them feeding as well....they stick their probes into the leaf, suck out nutrients, then inject an acid into the leaf before finishing their meal.....that usually makes the leaf start to curl like that because it is damaging the plant, and when you start getting too much acid injected it burns the plant cells causing it to yellow...

You guys are awesome, sure as anything there they were living under the leaves. I sprayed with Sevin since that's all I could find, any other recommendations for removal and keeping them away?

Usually....you only have to treat 1 time for hoppers. Just keep a prudent eye out....the next bugs to strike are japanese beetles and the many different array of caterpillars...

If I run into those would sevin still be the preferred treatment

Seven takes care of a lot of different pests...read the label to make sure you have the right mix ratio to the appropriate pest as I do not have any seven products on hand currently. If you have questions after reading the label, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help you further.

One of my plants had some leaves that looked like this and I wasn't sure what was wrong. Happened to read this thread, checked the leaves and sure enough saw a bunch of these little yellow critters. This forum is such a great resource. Now to find some neem oil.

One of my plants had some leaves that looked like this and I wasn't sure what was wrong. Happened to read this thread, checked the leaves and sure enough saw a bunch of these little yellow critters. This forum is such a great resource. Now to find some neem oil.

So far Neem hasn't worked yet, but after I sprayed thunderstorms rolled through. If Neem doesn't work, is there another organic option besides buying a bunch of lady bugs?. Last resort is Sevin.

Dish soap does the same thing as neem oil...coats the bugs and suffocates them...I'm sure there are other organic methods, but I am not current on them

So the good news is the Sevin I bought was already diluted it was in a red spray bottle so i sprayed the leaves down and havent seen a trace of them since. I also had a good storm roll through the same night I sprayed them. I am hoping I dont have to spray them again as I dont want to use the harsh pesticides more than I have too. Also am i screwed if they come back once the burs and cones start popping up as I imagine spraying those with pesticides is not recommended.

So the good news is the Sevin I bought was already diluted it was in a red spray bottle so i sprayed the leaves down and havent seen a trace of them since. I also had a good storm roll through the same night I sprayed them. I am hoping I dont have to spray them again as I dont want to use the harsh pesticides more than I have too. Also am i screwed if they come back once the burs and cones start popping up as I imagine spraying those with pesticides is not recommended.

I am no expert, but there is usually a time frame from when you sprayed to when you should/can harvest. For Sevin I would guess 14 days, according to the Phi on their website. (They don't have hops listed, but for leafy greens it's 14 days)

Back