Hop Leaves Dying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny_d

Reaction score
Can anyone provide any insight o. What is happening to my Cascade and Willamette plants?

1402793062565.jpg

1402793071438.jpg

1402793087539.jpg

Not sure but it looks like a caterpillar curling. Have you tried anything like Sevin, Talstar P or a DIY Soap?

Hmm I'll keep an eye out for them. I haven't put anything on these yet. Can you elaborate on the diy soap?

Yes the leaves do get a little wet. The upper leaves are fine. So it could be the Sun burning them?

This...

Gotta make sure to water when it's not sunny, in the evening or on a reliably cloudy day.

Generally speaking, the best time of day to water is in the morning. If you find yourself watering at night, the plant is not actively taking up water as it would be at the start of the day, and so you contribute to the chance that your plant and its roots stay moist for a greater length of time than needed and such conditions are conducive to disease.

By watering in the mornings, you provide the plant water when it will be most active and receptive to water and nutrient uptake. As the peak of summer comes, plants generally tend to slow down during the mid-to-late afternoon because of supraoptimal temperatures for photosynthesis. They are concentrating on reducing the amount of water loss. Adding more water, especially when they are not taking it up, can lead to hypoxia/anoxia, mildews, and other nutritional problems.

Back