Hop Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras Skipper

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just found a Hop plant growing wild, near to where I live in west London.
I would like to identify the type of Hop that it is..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skips
IMGP2717-hop2.jpg

IMGP2716-hop.jpg

IMGP2718-hops.jpg

Looks like Bramlings or Fuggles to me. But what do I know?

You can mail me some for some more in-depth identification. I'll need a couple kilos in a vacuum-sealed bag to tell you for sure.

You hit the hop lottery. I wouldn't even worry about what kind they are. Just experiment and get an estimate of the AA content and you'll be able to use them in anything by adjusting accordingly. Well most anything if they're really mild maybe not in IPAs of if they're really strong not in beers that you don't want much hop profile. You might be able to have them analyed by a lab or something for AA content.

Thanks for all the help so far...

they have a really nice smell...not sure if i can identify it though...

Yes. Hops must be picked green and dried or used within 24 hours. Looks more like a Golding variant to me.

Yes. Hops must be picked green and dried or used within 24 hours. Looks more like a Golding variant to me.

Actually, you can pick hops and freeze them in a zip lock plastic bag to be used whenever. Just because some on the bine might have withered and browned, don't discard them! They still have potent reserves of the yellow goodness tucked up inside the petals, which is what you want anyway! :mug:

Back