Hop Hubris - A 1000+ IBU recipe from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
Lol!! Can't tell if this is just a joke or for real but this recipe comes with 77 ounces of hops for a 5 gal batch! Thats nearly 5 lbs of hops. The all-grain version is $228! The reviews are kinda funny....just thought I'd share

AHS Hop Hubris

Well it's official - overly hopped beers have officially jumped the shark.

960.jpg

Lol!! Can't tell if this is just a joke or for real but this recipe comes with 77 ounces of hops for a 5 gal batch! Thats nearly 5 lbs of hops. The all-grain version is $228! The reviews are kinda funny....just thought I'd share

AHS Hop Hubris

Did you read the description and the date of release.

5# of premium flavor/aroma hops (Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Nelson, Galaxy, etc.) runs around $125 retail, when bought by the pound. I'm sure an ounce or 3 of Hopshot ($20) needs to be added to get anywhere near 1000 IBU. Not sure how $228 is justified for this kit. Sounds too gimmicky for my taste, but willing to try. Is there a recipe for it?

I think this is the first homebrew store-related April Fool's Day prank I've seen. Pretty good one, though. From the comments, I can imagine the recipe/instructions are pretty ridiculous too (240 minute boil for an IPA? Hah!).

I think this is the first homebrew store-related April Fool's Day prank I've seen. Pretty good one, though. From the comments, I can imagine the recipe/instructions are pretty ridiculous too (240 minute boil for an IPA? Hah!).

If you brew it on the first of April it should b ready to drink by the 20th dude

Yeah it's an April fools description. However it's still there and with a price tag on it. I wonder what happens if you order it

I think people can only taste around 200ibu. the rest is only waste. Don't quote me on the amount I don't remember the number.

I think people can only taste around 200ibu. the rest is only waste. Don't quote me on the amount I don't remember the number.

There's only one way to find out. Brew this, then brew it again, only removing exactly one IBU worth of hops. Repeat until you can taste the difference (or more likely, broke).

Actually the scale only goes up to 100. Just like you can't go below 0, you can't go above 100.

That's why oftentimes when there is an IBU number above 100, they call it a "theoretical value." I've made a Triple IPA that was somewhere around 250 IBUs, but it would technically still be classified as 100 IBU, so I personally just write those kinds of beers as "100+ IBUs" since you technically can't go beyond 100 IBUs since that's the threshold of bitterness that the human tongue can perceive (supposedly).

I've seen some pretty crazy theoretically IBU values, but this Hop Hubris is definitely the highest. With how the IBU system works, though, 1000 IBUs and 100 IBUs SHOULD be the exact same, but things like alcohol, maltiness, and so on can alter that perception.

I mean, you could just dump all the hops in your freezer if it looks like mine and get the same thing. But I do hope AHS got someone to pay that much for a recipe kit.

Also key decision: "Would you like to Double Pitch your yeast?" ....Nah, one WLP001 should do it. I'm making a session IPA.

Back