Hop Heads Delight American Summer Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregpio85

Reaction score
Just transferred a beer I brewed two weeks ago. The original recipe came from:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/southern-tier-hop-sun-dry-hopping-68063/
However, having never tried a Southern Tier Hop Sun and wanting to use up some of the ingredients I had lying around I came up with this 5 gallon recipe. While I called this an American Summer Wheat, I think it's closest to a hefeweizen.

8 # 2 Row
2 # Wheat
.75 # UK Crystal (I forget the kind, you could sub with any 40 or 60 crystal)
4 Oz. Centennial @ 15 minutes (Big departure from Recipe)
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 Oz. Cascade Dry Hopped for 1 week
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast (1 Liter Starter)

60 Minute Boil
OG - 1.05
FG - 1.012
ABV - 4.9%

What came out of this recipe was an excellent beer that I will for sure be brewing again. Beer is cloudy and Orange like a Hefe. The aroma and taste is citrusy with grapefruits and oranges coming through strong. There is a small presence of bananas from the yeast and almost no clove notes. Very little bitterness from the hops since the additions were so late in the boil. A smooth and refreshing session beer for summer.

Time to dial this in for summer. Next go, since the hops are the main attraction for this, I am thinking of switching to Amarillo for the boil and Centennial for the dry hops. After that I'll dial in my specialty malt by switching to a regular crystal 40 or 60. Mouth feel and fermentables were good so no need to fudge around with mash temp. May raise the fermentation temp by a degree or two to bring out some more esters and see where that gets us.

Any comments, questions, or advice is appreciated.

Back