Hop Hash - NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
I am almost to 24 hours into the fermentation of a NEIPA, and my plan was to dry hop with 4 oz of El Dorado hop hash at the 24-36 hour mark to aid in biotransformation. Has anyone used this much in the dry hop? My boil was .75oz of Columbus, then 2oz each of Citra and Strata for whirlpool additions, ended up with ~50IBUs. At day 5, I was also going to toss in 2 oz of Strata again. Overkill? Last time I tried a NEIPA, it came out clear, so I'm trying to get it more to style.

You didn’t mention your batch size so it’s impossible to tell if your hop schedule is overkill. Also, your first batch shouldn’t have been clear; what malt bill did you use and what type of water chemistry did you have?

Sorry, it's a 5gallon batch. Estimated ABV of 7.2%.

I had a significant amount of wheat in my first batch, but it didn't seem to hold the haze. It wasn't crystal clear, but it wasn't as hazy as some of the commercial examples.

It doesn’t sound like overkill to me. I brewed a 2.5 gal NE a few weeks back with a similar hopping schedule and it turned out nicely.

Also, like I mentioned before, did you adjust your water chemistry? If you didn’t ramp up your chlorides you will likely not retain the hazy look you’re after. What type of yeast are you using as well?

Attached is what my most recent batch looked like out of the fermenter, prior to carbonating.

Attachments

• 0D349BC0-4BA6-4BE7-AA07-B75F358819B3.jpeg
    0D349BC0-4BA6-4BE7-AA07-B75F358819B3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
I definitely ramped up the chlorides, which i didn't do in the first batch. I wasn't really treating my water at that point. I'm using London Ale III.

Alright, it's done! Boy those hash bits were tough to break up with the coffee grinder I had, just too sticky. Had to break them up by hand. Smelled amazing! [emoji7]

Back