Hop growth rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I planted about a month ago, and they sprouted, but are not continuing to grow - very green and on a trellis line.

Should I be fertilizing more ?

The growth pattern of hops is driven by day length. If they are 'very green', you may just be past the peak growth period for your area and all you can do is wait for next year.

The growth pattern of hops is driven by day length. If they are 'very green', you may just be past the peak growth period for your area and all you can do is wait for next year.

Yes' they are very green - looks like suspended animation.

I tried 2 other vendors, and got the last 2 rhizomes I could find from Strange Brew - very superior to what I got from other 2 guys

I would recommend Strange Brew for rhizomes - will get 6 next year and go from there.

Thank you for your information - I'm in South East Louisiana - they get about 6 full hours of full sun per day.

Kind of a thread resurrection, but I planted a bunch last year and this year. Their growth rates have varied widely, with virtually identical treatment of all of them. Some have had striking growth rates, while others are just puttering along. I think I've planted about 30 rhizomes from various orders, and have 24 live plants now. Some have grown only a couple of feet thus far this year. A few are at least 15 feet, and showing burrs. One Nugget, planted last year, was slow to start this year, but grew at least a measured 4 inches today! It grew 2 inches overnight, and 2 more from 7 this morning to 6 this evening. Impressive!. I planted them with a mix of compost and our native clay, haven't fertilized at all, and am way behind on weeding, and this thing is just shooting up!

I bought rhizomes this year and last from Freshops, Bader Brewing, Adventures in Homebrewing, Northwest Hops, and Northern Brewer. They all grew except the one from Northern Brewer, which was shipped with an order of a bunch of other stuff, and got beat up. It never sprouted. I think it was just treated too roughly in transit. I do think the Freshops rhizomes were the most substantial, and the best sprouters. I'll turn to them first if I need more rhizomes. However, it would take some serious bug damage or winter kill to have me shopping again. With 24 live plants, I think I'm set for a while.

Back