Hop Growing Prospects in Plattsburg/Champlain area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Seems like land is on the cheap around that area (whereas it is at more of a premium, and becoming more crowded out here in Skaneateles) with beautiful views, the mountains and Lake Champlain so close it seems perfect. 50 acres can go for under $40,000.

But as I've learned, nothing is without a catch. I am currently experimenting with hobby-level hop growing here in the Finger Lakes, where the climate is warmer than up north, and we have a lot of moisture and soft, glacially ploughed soils.

My question is [as far as relocating from finger lakes, to the champlain valley area]: What are the prospects from growing hops, at least at a level to sell to local microbrewers, or to open up my own farm-brewery? Is lack of sunlight a problem? Cold winter temperatures? Rocky soil? anything else I haven't thought of?
(I understand hops should ideally be somewhere between 40 and 55 latitude, and the bottoms of the plants prefer to stay dry)

Thanks in advance, as I would strongly consider such a relocation if I could still realize my dreams of a farm-to-glass brew pub, or at the least in becoming a part of craft beer culture in the area.

Check here: http://northeasthopalliance.org/. There's lots of growers in your region as Madison Co. was pretty much where the US hop industry began. One of the biggest problems facing growers in our part of the country is the higher humidity encourages problems like Downy Mildew. You can manage to keep it under control but the additional fungicide applications all add additional costs to your final cost of production.

Back