Hop Growing Forum. - Thanks TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good idea? Would you use a hop cultivation forum?

• Not for me but why not.

• Good idea I'd use it or read it.

• Nah, too many forums as it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling that we are going to see a growth in brewers growing Hops.
How about a "Humulus *****us cultivation" sub forum in the ingredients and recipes forum?

Better clean up that dirty mouth lol. (WTF did you say??)

I would love that. I currently belong to some good but poorly formatted forum for that sole purpose. Bring it on!

cheezydemon said:
Better clean up that dirty mouth lol. (WTF did you say??)

I would love that. I currently belong to some good but poorly formatted forum for that sole purpose. Bring it on!

I think I may belong to the same one and it drives me crazy trying to read it. Would it happen to be a yahoo group?

I would much rather discuss hops here.:mug:

I'm there. Show me the way boys. I have Tettnanger going right now indoors and the bines are about 3" long right now. I would love it if we were able to trade rhizomes one day through the forum. Maybe we can become a completely self-sufficient community, lol.

Joker said:
I think I may belong to the same one and it drives me crazy trying to read it. Would it happen to be a yahoo group?

I would much rather discuss hops here.:mug:

Indeed! As much as I appreciate it, I hate getting 18 e-mails on a topic I don't care about and not knowing for certain what was posted first or last.

Great idea for a new section; I would definitely visit there often. :mug:

wortmonger said:
I'm there. Show me the way boys. I have Tettnanger going right now indoors and the bines are about 3" long right now. I would love it if we were able to trade rhizomes one day through the forum. Maybe we can become a completely self-sufficient community, lol.

That's a good idea.

The double in size each year. Did you see the size of my monster.
3 years old from one small root.

Awesome idea! My girl and I are in the process of buying a house, and the one we want has an area that would be perfect for growing hops! Teach me o' great one! :fro:

I don't think I'll be growing my own any time soon, but I'd read it, same as the cheese forum. Some of these branches on the site might need to re-organized though, as I think it might start getting a little confusing.

Definately!

I just placed my order for 6 rhizomes yesterday! Looking at all that snow out there ain't to encouraging right now, but it is something to look forward to.

I'm getting 2 each of Cascade, Centennial, and Goldings to start. Plus I have several offers from folks locally for some cuttings of unkown origin... :fro: Plus a buddy found some wild hops growing we are both going to take some cuttings of. Should be fun for experimenting with some wet hop beers and such. Man, I wish I could get Amarillo.

zero said:
I'm getting 2 each of Cascade, Centennial, and Goldings to start. Plus I have several offers from folks locally for some cuttings of unkown origin...
:off:
Is it easy to tell them apart?

Do they cross pollinate?

Guess I really need to learn about hops now...

I'm going to wait and order from Freshops, but I'm in. I'm thinking of getting a lot (and splitting labour/fruits thereof with others in my brew club): Goldings, Willamette, Sterling, Cascade, Mt Hood. Perhaps a bittering hop, but frankly I'm willing to shell out a few dollars an ounce at the LHBS to know what AA I'm getting for bittering.

There has been a ton of discussion about growing hops. Obviously MANY more people will be growing hops with the encouragement of the shortage...

I VOTE YES!

Well, it makes more sense than a cheese forum - why not? I'd probably read it, but then again, I read just about everything.

Definitely! I need to talk to my LHBS to see if they will get some in, or else I need to find a place to order online.

I'll be watching this thread.

popcorn.gif

I would most definitely make use of a hops growing forum. I started a thread on hops growing in the general forums because I was not sure where it should go. That and others could be moved right in to begin populating it.

I am just starting on hops growing- an HBT sent me two rhizomes (well, three but one wasn't viable) last year. I would love to learn more about what I should be doing with them!

Interested for sure. Hop shortage rahrah Fuggles rah spring planting rah rah my house. Common question, rahrahrah the noobs rah.

asm_lilchaney.jpg

I have cascade and Willamette now, got a handful from the cascade last year an none from the 1st year willamette. It would be cool to be able to compare notes and such.

i would visit the forum often. i planted some last year (2007) and they did great. i have the hops bug now...along with the brewing bug. give me my fix, dammit!

I see this as very useful for people in areas that do not have a tradition of growing hops. South of the 35th parallel, people will have problems with short summer days. The American Southeast is moist, muggy & buggy. Growing hops there will be a different process from the PNW, where our main concern is irrigation.

Humulus vs Kudzu: The Green War

cheezydemon said:
*Bastards....sniff sniff......*

People are starting to ask questions in this thread, let's get it done!

Would be nice, but Tx mentioned that his offspring is about to spawn so he's kinda busy... we'll just have to deal for a bit...

Back