Hop freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy the following hop pellets at a very good price: Cascade, Amarillo, Willamette, Fuggle, Galena. I already have two recipes that I know I will use the cascade and amarillo so I'm definataly buying them. Are the others good ones to have on hand? How long will they last if I keep them in the freezer?

I dont know about other programs but promash will tell you what the adjusted AA % is depending on how long you have had them frozen. They stay good for a long time, just look some of their AA's

BTW, send me some :)

Hops will last quite a while if vacum sealed and frozen. The Galenas are a very economical bittering hop which I use often, but bittering hops shouldn't be kept as long as aroma hops due to the fact that the AA content diminishes over time. Fuggles and Willamettes are both great aroma hops, and therefore the loss of bittering ability won't be as big of an issue.

Personally, with the hop shortage, I would stock up on as many as I could afford. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

My wife is getting them for me from work with her discount, I want as much as I can get but I don't want to screw her boss and buy all his hops either. I told her to get me as much cascade and amarillo that she is comfortable buying and if she can get any of the others that would be cool too. I didn't even know they had hops where she works.

Back