Hop-free Beer Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamachi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love the taste of sweet wort when I brew, but not the thought of drinking a whole glass of it. So I wondered if I could create a beer that captures that flavor without any offsetting bitterness while not being so sweet as to be undrinkable. People make sweet wine and mead without hops, so why not beer?

Based on my limited research, it seems that few people have tried brewing beer without hops or some other bittering agent. The ones I ran across who did so reported that the results were not good -- way too sweet. To try to avoid this, I used a cream ale grain bill, with 20% flaked corn to increase the attenuation. OTOH, I wanted some residual malt sweetness, so I mashed at 154 F rather than a lower temperature.

Finally, I wanted to see how yeast-derived flavors interacted with those from the grain. So I did a 3-way split batch with WLP001, WLP500, and WLP550. The OG was 1.057 and the FG ended up at 1.006 to 1.008 for 86% to 89% apparent attenuation.

I brewed on May 22, bottled on June 4, and did a taste test yesterday. Tasting notes from my admittedly uneducated palate:
WLP001: Tastes like a basic cream ale, maybe a small bit sweeter.
WLP500: Noticeable Chimay-ish flavors.
WLP550: Subtle Belgian abbey-ish flavors.

In summary, I would call the experiment a limited success. The results for all three yeasts are drinkable without being overly sweet. On the other hand, I didn't get that malty flavor I was hoping for, perhaps because it was suppressed by the corn. I might try this experiment again with an all-barley grain bill.

Fermentation alters the taste, so does oxidation on the way there, it's not only the reduction of sugars, there is more happening in the fermenter.

Historically English ale was without hops, so you are a bit late with this experiment. :p

This overly sweet thing is simply an urban myth, if the yeast attenuates well, it's not sweet at all. A big problem is though, that there is nothing to keep lactos and other gems at bay, as the hops are a strong antibacterial agent. So you might end up with a sour ale at the end. Doesn't have to be bad though...

Back