hop flavor fading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
How long does it typically take a beer for the hop flavors to noticeably fade?

I bottled Yoopers 60 min DFH clone on March 6th and drank most of it right away, with the exception of 3 22oz bottles. 1 bottle is in my wine fridge, still upright, on the bottom, to age for a while just to see what happens, and the other 2 I was saving to share with a friend. Well the friend canceled and I had 2 bottles in my fridge and caved tonight and cracked one open and I'll have to split the other one with him when he finally comes over(thank god it's a 22oz'er).

Now all but 66oz'es of this beer within a month or so of it being carbed up in the bottles. I remember a very distinct citrus smell and huge hop flavor and aromas, however I'm barely getting any of that tonight and it's only been about 2 months since it was bottled. To hop aromas/flavors really fade this fast?

The flavor and aroma hops in my hop bombs seem to significantly fade out in 2 months and by 4-5 months are lacking much. Luckily hops are much cheaper now and they can be brewed without breaking the bank.

hoppy beers lose their hoppiness very quickly.bitterness, flavor and aromas drop very quickly. get pliny and put it away for a few months and get a fresh pliny and you'll see why they plaster their bottles with "DO NOT AGE, DRINK THIS YOUNG!"

Back