Hop depletion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
We all know that after some time hop flavor willl dissipate, my question is about how long until that starts to happen?

I brewed a Brett IPA almost 2 months ago and it's just been sitting in primary so far, with a few more months planned. I'm starting to think I should have accounted for some hop flavor to disappear after a few months and threw some extra in towards the end of the boil. Would it be wise to only give it another month-ish and dry hop/bottle or just send it a few extra months as planned? I already brewed it a little on the low side IBU wise to not overpower the brett....

ok so after tasting it seems pretty mellow but then again i can never get a good read on a beer before it gets carbonated. thinkn i might go to dry hop at the end of the month to cut things short.

Did you use a primary (sacc) strain? Or is it 100% Brett. If its the latter, there's no need to wait any longer. Brett only beers finish up fairly quickly. In either case, I would dryhop.

1+
If the brett was the primary fermentation strain then go ahead, it will have done its job already. Go for overkill on the dry hop but and give it only ony week.
From my experience, Brett seems to just eat up hops and change their profile somewhat..
My Brett B Trois IPA shifted towards tart after a few months.

It was used in primary and it's the only thing I pitched. Is there a difference between using it in primary and a 100% brett beer? I was under the impression that they were the same thing.

I also was told that letting it sit bulk aging would get a little funkier as time went on, is that also not true? It's completely possible I was mixing it up with someone talking about using it as a secondary strain (even tho I was already aware that using it that way would need a lot of time also).

Generally, 100% Brett beers finish on a time scale similar to a regular saccromyces yeast (weeks). The result will be fairly clean with some fruity esters (sometimes tropical). When used as a secondary strain, it will take much longer (months) and you'll get more of the funky, musty aromas people typically associate with Brett.

Back