Hop Decline Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my first barleywine this holiday season, with the express purpose of sharing it next holiday season. I know that hops fall out over time, so is there a decent calculator to use to plan for x amount of hoppiness a year from now?

I dont know of any calculator off hand, however, I also aged my barley wine for an entire year and i added hops targeting 100 IBU. I can say at this point a year later the malt flavors are coming through and its a great barley wine. I have only opened 3 to see how they are coming along, Christmas day will be one year exactly and I cant wait

I just happen to have analyses of Fuller's Vintage Ale at bottling and after a number of years.

2010 Vintage Ale started at 41.3 IBUs and a year later was 30.25.
2009 Vintage Ale started at 38.35 IBUs and 2 years later was 23.1.
2008 Vintage Ale started at 41.7 IBUs and 3 years later was 26.3.
2007 Vintage Ale started at 44 IBUs and 4 years later was 30.1.

The bitterness drops the most in the first 12 months and after that declines much more slowly.

That is great - thanks. So expect to lose about 10 ibu in one year. Rough number to start by.

I've found: Dry hop aroma goes first. Hop flavor is second. Once the hop flavor starts to fade the beer takes on a sweeter malty character. (if you've ever had an old Fullers, or an old DFH 90min, you'll know exactly what I mean). Bitterness seems to be the last to fade.

Find someone with a Bigfoot vertical (very common) and drink that.

The short answer is that if you make a hugely hopped barleywine like bigfoot the bitterness seems to drop a lot in the first year and then slowly thereafter and the aroma/flavor drops from a metric crap-ton to very little over about 2-3 years.

Back