hop charts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
can someone explain to me why every single hop chart I look at is incomplete...and always with different hops missing?

or, more importantly... can someone steer me to a hop chart that is up to date, and complete!?!?

i feel like im taking crazy pills. Even the reference books cant get all the hops on one chart.

There are hundred of hop strains. There alpha % and flavor profile may change slightly with every years crop.

Arneba28 said:
There are hundred of hop strains. There alpha % and flavor profile may change slightly with every years crop.

I'm sure the AA changes but the varieties, for the most part, are all the same... I mean besides a couple of new ones here and there. But that doesn't happen all that often.

What I was asking about is why all charts seem to be missing varieties and why the ones missing always seem to be different.

New varieties are introduced every year. Some catch on, most don't. Of those that do catch on, it can be several years before they are widely available, or before they get used and studied enough to provide accurate descriptions. Some varieties, even after being used for decades, fall into disuse and stop being grown. Some varieties are only available from certain distributors. Some varieties have more than one name, one being the "generic" name and the other a patented trademark name from a specific grower or distributor.

Captain Damage said:
New varieties are introduced every year. Some catch on, most don't. Of those that do catch on, it can be several years before they are widely available, or before they get used and studied enough to provide accurate descriptions. Some varieties, even after being used for decades, fall into disuse and stop being grown. Some varieties are only available from certain distributors. Some varieties have more than one name, one being the "generic" name and the other a patented trademark name from a specific grower or distributor.

Ok, so who's got a reference to a list/chart that's regularly updated?

Back