Hop change question for Sunshine Marmalade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwhiskers

Reaction score
I found this recipe on www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk for Weather Oak Brewery's Sunshine Marmalade and Thought it would be an interesting recipe to try. What difference in flavor, if any would there be in replacing the Admiral bittering hops with Magnum as long as I kept the 33 IBU? Here is the recipe info:

It's a golden hoppy beer with a full body, and a sort of light vinous orangey finish. It's not
full on orange, but very fruity.
Mash @ 68
23L batch
1.048 - 1.012
33 IBU
60 minute boil
mash @ 68c
4.65kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Caramalt
23g Admiral @ 60 (33 IBU)
55g bitter orange peel @ flame out
140g Mandarina Bavaria pellets @ day 4 dry hop, 6 days
Us-05 yeast

I'd say it's a safe substitution.
You don't get all that much flavor from a hop that's boiled for an hour anyway, so pretty much any bittering hop will do fine. Now all bittering hops leave a slightly different undertone of flavor though, like Nugget is kinda woodsy/herbally while Magnum is as neutral as can be. In that light Magnum would be a very good choice.

I'm not familiar with Admiral and what it brings to the beer you may miss, but with that huge dry hop I doubt you'd ever notice.

The recipe looks yummy.
Maybe add some fresh sliced orange or tangerine zest (colored, outer part) for the last 20 or 10 minutes of the boil and leave it in until chilled.

I brew a Saison where I add some whole grapefruit peel at 15' to get some bittering from the pith as well as flavor from the colored outer part (zest).

I do have some Amarillo that I thought might help add some orange flavor by adding at 10 min. I do have some orange zest that I vacuum sealed a while back too.

The Admiral hops are British and lists the aroma profile of:
ORANGE • TEA • FRESH • SAP

I do have some Amarillo that I thought might help add some orange flavor by adding at 10 min.
I'd put the Amarillo in the hopstand/whirlpool, after flameout when the wort has chilled to 170F, for 20'. Then chill down to ferm temp. She'll give off some bittering at 170F, but not a real lot.

Ok, thanks. Not sure how this will turn out but I like orange. Hopefully it tastes similar to how I think it will.

Back