Hop Bursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

causeimthesquid

Reaction score
Looking for input in regards to hop bursting.

Should I be targeting a certain percentage of IBUs per addition (say 30% of IBU at 60 minutes and the rest at flameout), or does total weight of hops matter as well?

The high-AA American varieties do have great aroma and flavor, but is the strength of the aroma and flavor correlate to AA% in any way?

You can hopburst a 284 IBU IPA or a 60 IBU IPA... it's your choice, just as long as you add a lot of late hops.

For American IPAs, I usually find most high alpha Pacific Northwest hops to be the most aromatic, i.e. Simcoe, Amarillo, Nugget, Apollo, Summit, and the C-hops... But not so much Warrior or Magnum.

A correlation I've noticed in terms of best aroma, is that you should look for hops with either highest total oil content and/or highest myrcene levels. I've noticed these hops typically have the most aroma akin to the A-IPA style.

Bob,

I pretty much use exclusively PNW hops for hop bursting, and most of my IPAs are in the 70-90 IBU range.

But my question was more about using AA as a guide to how much hop addition should be made at flameout. Is there any way to correlate AA% to aroma and flavor? Is a 15% AA Columbus hop 3x more aromatic than a 5% AA% Cascade - or is the AA% irrelevant completely?

Is there any way to correlate AA% to aroma and flavor?

No. See advice above about total oil content and myrcene levels. Otherwise, read hop reviews and see what people are saying about them. AA% is about bitterness, no so much aroma.

Hop bursting is ALL the hop additions starting at 20 minutes from the end of the boil forward. I typically do 20, 15, 10, 5, 1 additions. How much depends on what your IBU target is. Use software to figure out how much to add at each step along the way.

If you add any hops at 60 minutes (or before 20 minutes) from the end, it's NOT hop bursting.

I agree with gold...the point is to get all your hops in late. Haven't done a 60 in a long time. Citra, centennial, summit, etc are all great hops, high AA values with fantastic aroma.

Back