Hop burn... not bitter... but burn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoGP1000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hey brew-chachos,

Question... anyone experience a hop burn out of their iPas? Not bitter like you would think from early hop addition, but more like... acidic or burn when you’re putting down your Ipa that hits the back of you’re throat.

I’m assuming it’s the result of immense dry hopping that occurs in a lot of neipa.

For my last ipa, I cold crashed it which I think helped. Seemed less... acidic but still has some lingering around. My cold crash was about 36hours. The neipa I did before that one there was no cold crash done and the brew was fairly acidic/hop burny.

So thoughts? Should I cold crash longer to get rid of that acidic type annoyance for my dry hopped brews? Is this what’s been causing this odd characteristic?

Just a note: I bottle. So I don’t have the pleasure of kegging yet if that nakedness any difference

Thanks

One suggestion is to keep late hop additions to a fairly low % of total IBUs, you are going for the hop flavor there, not the bitterness. Most of your bitterness in first wort or at beginning of boil helps. As mentioned, aging helps a lot if you find yourself with an over hopped beer.

One other thing that has happened to me it I get a temporary hop sensitivity in my taste buds if I sample some particularly raw-hopped beer. This has happened when experimenting with late addition hops of unknown or falsely stated IBUs, or tasting a hoppy post boil wort. Had this happen a couple of times, and I could not stand forward hopped beer for a few days, fortunately, this went away for me. Also eating some greasy food before drinking helps this for some reason. I doubt this happens to everyone though, as I have seen little mention of it.

Back