Hop browned and died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I added two more varieties this year, already had five 2-3 year old crowns.

They are all taking off at different rates which is fine, but the Cascade put out a bunch of baby leaves and shoots, turned brown and stopped.

The Eroica, Shaddock, Old Mission, and Centennial are doing great.

The new ones-Cluster and Nugget seem to be doing great as well.

Just not sure what happened to the Cascade. Ideas?

I'm having a similar problem...I think it's my drainage...
I accidentally used "garden soil" rather than amending "potting soil" with vermiculite, spaghnum moss and gritty sand...
I roll my eyes as I say that because it all seems a bit complicated, but I suppose you live you learn...
I'm going to uproot my vines this weekend and amend the soil and replant...
Yes it's that bad...they are all on the verge of dying due to the bad drainage...
:oops:

Probably either lack of water, or herbicide in the soil. Have you used any weed killer nearby recently? Or just a bad rhizome. Cascade is a very robust variety to grow otherwise.

I’m an all-organic gardener, kitchen compost, etc. I will look at digging it up and amending the soil. Despite watering daily, the soil looks dry, so that may be the issue. Thank you for the advice!

If u have a moisture tester that can be helpful. I got one on Amazon that also does pH that has helped me notice that while the top of my soil was "moist" the area 2" deep was "wet"...
I'm gonna go pickup some vermiculite today.

Have you been fertilizing? Hops need a lot of nitrogen, but it can be easy to overdo it and kill the plant. Sudden browning is a sign of that.

We have a 7 person household, so lots of green waste to mulch. Everything gets a giant helping of loamy humus + earthworms 2-4x a year. And 2-3x a year, I dump the ashes from the fire pit and/or BBQ into the garden as well.
My past experience has been that this is enough, the cascade gave me hops years 1&2, just this year (3) is the brown year.

Nice! I replanted mine with compost, spaghnum moss and gypsum...couldnt get a hold of vermiculite...
No improvement yet...but my replacement cascade rhizomes just shipped to subsitute for my mt hood and sterling failures...

Back