Hop Bittering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
OK, so I am not sure I have this right. I may be WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.

If I am using a hop for its bittering properties, it doesn't matter what the AA is neccessarily. For example, if I was to want a beer with an IBU of 50...I could either use many combinations of smaller percentage AA hops or simply use a high AA hop, strictly to get the IBU desired...flavor and aroma aside.

I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly. I guess my overall question boils down to: Does it matter how you get the IBUs? I understand that hops need to be vigorously boiled for the bittering and short boils for flavor/aroma.

OK, so I am not sure I have this right. I may be WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.

If I am using a hop for its bittering properties, it doesn't matter what the AA is neccessarily. For example, if I was to want a beer with an IBU of 50...I could either use many combinations of smaller percentage AA hops or simply use a high AA hop, strictly to get the IBU desired...flavor and aroma aside.

I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly. I guess my overall question boils down to: Does it matter how you get the IBUs? I understand that hops need to be vigorously boiled for the bittering and short boils for flavor/aroma.
You are correct, it is generally accepted that 60 minutes of boiling the hops will extract nearly all the acids, and the shorter boil times will extract less, but you still may get some some bittering from the later additions, just dont forget to calculate them also, good luck.

Right, 1 oz at 4.9% will give the same bittering at 60 minutes as 1/4 oz of 19.8% (it exists).

Latest posts

Back