Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB Lever

Reaction score
Using hop bags in the boil, does it matter how tightly the hops are packed in the bag? Started using paint straining bags, tying them off with the hops pretty compacted - does that have an effect on the utilization? Last brew I tied one slightly looser and end up with more trub than when compacted. Am I overthinking the tightly packed hop bag?

They tend to expand when they absorb water, so you need room in the bag for the hops to expand.

Compaction is a huge downer wrt extraction, you really want the hops to freely move about during the boil
Use more or larger bags!
When I still used them some of my IPAs had as many as four bags with two ounces per floating around the kettle. You could see the pellet mush moving easily with the boil currents...

Cheers!

[ps] I stopped using nylon bags because over time they got progressively tighter to the point I could lift one out of the boil and it refused to drain :eek:

For what its worthy, I use muslin bags on a hop spide and the muslin stretches to accomodate the swollen hops. Because I use a hop spider, I don't tie off the bag (it hangs from the spider, with the mouth open so I can just toss in hops).

The muslin bags aren't reusable, I toss them but they are cheap. I just worry about boiling a nylon/plastic bag.

Yeah, use roomy bags, the hops need to be able to swim!

To force refresh the wort inside the bags more aggressively I lift my hop bags up during the boil and let them mostly drain out over a long brew spoon or wooden paddle, before lowering them again. I do that maybe every 10 minutes. In addition, I also "massage" the bags with the brew spoon or a wooden paddle, while in the boil.

Even when using fairly fine mesh hop bags, the finest mesh I can commercially find, a lot of very fine hop dust still makes it out, and mixes in the trub. My last 6 gallon batch of NEIPA (4 oz of hops in the whirlpool) left behind almost a gallon of trubby wort on the bottom of the kettle. I strained it through the same fine mesh hop bag placed in a large funnel. After it settled, I had salvaged 3 quarts of perfectly clear wort.* There was about 1 pint of super gooey sticky trub left in the filter bag!

I pasteurized the reclaimed wort at 160F and is bubbling away in a gallon jug. I may use it to top up the keg after transfer if I come up short. Or just carbonate it in a soda bottle.

* I adhere to the mantra: No Wort Left Behind!

I just worry about boiling a nylon/plastic bag.

The bags we've been using are nylon mesh less than $3 for 3. They've worked well so far, just initially had the hops compacted pretty tightly and wondered if that was a bad idea. Thanks for all the responses.

The bags we've been using are nylon mesh less than $3 for 3. They've worked well so far, just initially had the hops compacted pretty tightly and wondered if that was a bad idea. Thanks for all the responses.

My fine mesh hop bags are very roomy, like 9" wide and 22" long, laid flat, sold by LD Carlson. They're quite heavy duty and hold up well in the boil. They're washable.

My wife also sewed a few bags from a voile material, a little lighter in quality while the mesh is a little coarser/wider. They work well and are washable too. I got several yards of it, bags for years. The mesh openings are around 300 micron.

Just found this out. I tied my hop bag made of cheese cloth I had laying around nice and tight like I was taught for a sachet. Big mistake. Hops turned into a hard ball in the bag, not dry in the center when I cut it but hop neutral in flavor imho. Next time hop spider or bigger bag for sure.
Eric

Ya the tight bags really reduce the hop material in the kettle, but I'm gonna loosen it up a bit.

IOW, the mesh can be tight, but the bags themselves should not be.

They make those stainless hop baskets. I've been on the fence with them for years, never bought one. They should be around 1/3 of the volume of your kettle to work well, from what I gather. 400 micron seems to be a good compromise between holding fine particles inside and reduce clogging. The only thing is, the wort does not boil inside the baskets unless you put a heat stick inside. You need to drain them repeatedly to refresh the wort inside, which contributes to clogging the mesh.

Back