Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
His question is probably ridiculous, but when adding a second type of hop to your boil, should I be taking the hop bag out of the boil, opening it, and then putting the other hops in there in top of the first type? Or should I get multiple hop bags?

Use multiple bags,no more than 1oz per bag so the boiling wort can circulate through them. Baggin them now means less hassle later.

I wouldn't want to mess with opening a hop bag that's been in the boil, and while you have that bag out to add more hops, it's not adding anything to your beer. By using additional bags you can have your hops premeasured and prebagged so they're ready to just toss in when its time.

A much easier method, however, is to make a hop spider

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, open it whenever I need to do an addition and toss em in. I then use a simple squeeze clamp and clamp it to the side of my boil kettle. Piece of cake.

To the OP. I just toss them in and strain my wort through a paint strainer into my FV. The paint strainer will filter most of the pellets out with just a bit of sqeezing at the end.

Back