hop bag for flameout additions. yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I thought of this for a while. Somehow I'm always worried that late additions (especially those @ 0 min) don't really release all the aroma potential if I start cooling immediately. So I always wait 10 minutes or so and then let the water through the chiller, believing I let the hops release more aroma in the wort that way.

Lately I'm using hop bags for all hops. I was wondering if this bag could "trap" the aromas inside?

I mean especially if it is quite tight....

What do you guys think on this subject?

Im curious as well.

Somewhat related...since flameout hops only extract part of the aa from hops, does leaving those hops in the wort until you rack off of the yeast have any positive or negative effects?

Hop bags are not going to affect hop flavor or aroma in your late addition hops. The essential oils you're extracting will filter through the holes in the bag just fine and its a lot less organic matter left over to deal with in your wort. However, if your worried about it, Blichman sells a hop filter which supposedly filters out the hops when its placed in the kettle. Although I've never used it before so I can't personally attest to it.

As far as leaving finishing hops in you fermenter, it' ok. The alpha acids are actually insoluble in liquid until they are isomerized through boiling. This is why dry hopping and flame out hops won't raise your IBUs.

Back