hop back with immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So my current set up I have is a Keggle with an immersion chiller. When it comes time I send the wort through a pump and back into the kettle creating a whirlpool.

I was just bought a HopRocket for my birthday. If I place it after my pump and right before the wort enters back in for my whirlpool will this be giving me the full effect of a hopback?

What i am reading is after passing the wort through the hop back you want to immediately chill it which I won't be able to do.

I was planning on running the wort through the hopback for 5 minutes after flameout and then starting the water through the chiller.

Am I going to lose big hop flavor and aroma with this technique? I just drilled the hole in my keggle for the whirlpool, hoping it isn't for nothing and I have to purchase a CFC or plate chiller...

I don't know exactly cause I don't have a pump (wish I did) or a HopRocket (wish I did)! However, I steep aroma hops for 20 minutes after the boil prior to chilling so I don't know why what you are wanting to do would be any different, EXCEPT you may be introducing oxygen to hot wort, which is a no-no?
Others will chime in!
Good luck
Cheers!

I have a similar setup as you have, and I am experimenting with it. I placed the hop rocket between the pump and the recirculation return tube. I recirculated without the hop rocket for the last 15 minutes of the boil (so that I could sanitize the pump, hoses, and recirculation arm). Then, just before it was time to put out the flame, I hooked the hop rocket between the pump and the recirculation arm. I then recirculated the wort through the hop rocket as it was cooling down the boil. When I hit 60 degrees, I then directed the wort from the recirculation arm to the primary fermenter.
I know that Blichmann does not recommend this, but I figured that I would do it because I can normally drop my wort temperature to 60 degrees in about 10 minutes, I have done this a couple of times, and I have not experienced any plugging of the hop rocket.
So, I would say go for it and see what happens.
Mark:mug:

Yes..I have done this once too and it seems to have worked well...but are we not getting the same aroma and flavor as someone who sends the wort through the hop back and straight to a chiller?

If we aren't how big is the difference?

Yes..I have done this once too and it seems to have worked well...but are we not getting the same aroma and flavor as someone who sends the wort through the hop back and straight to a chiller?

If we aren't how big is the difference?

IMHO the difference will be in how long the hops are kept hot. aroma compounds are driven off by hot temps. Every system will produce slightly different results. Not necessarily better or worse but different.

If you're not getting what you want, try adding dry hops at the end of the fermentation. Dry hopping adds aroma but it's a bit different in character then flame out or hop back.

Back