Hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppalarge

Reaction score
I'm drinking a pint of my second brew. A Sierra Nevada PA clone that I'm quite proud of.

My third batch is currently conditioning.

I've been brewing extract with steeping grains, and all of my beers are Hop Forward.

The thing is I'm getting lots of bitterness but not a great deal if hop aroma. This is despite me adding aroma hops toward the end of the boil and also dry hopping. I'm doing a 4 gallon boil and as a result I'm actually using a lot more hops than the 5 gallon boil recipe states (im using beer smith)

What would be inhibiting my hop aroma?

I'm using dried leaf hops, purchased recently.

Can you be more specific about "toward the end of the boil"? And how do you chill?

One thing I've done when I want to accentuate the hop flavor and aroma, is to take the 60 minute addition, divide it in thirds, and add them at 60, 45, and 30. It softens the bitterness a bit, and lets the late additions shine.

I added aroma hops at 15 mins and at 0 mins. I also dry hopped.

I suspect my ferment temperature was in the high side as I do get some 'fruity' flavours. I used Safale 05

Don't "use more hops than the recipe states", as that is one of the weird flaws in software IBU calculation.

It's simply not true that IBUs are impacted by a smaller boil size, or at least not the way the software does it.

If you post a typical recipe, we can tweak it to make it "right" in bitterness. The aroma hops should remain the same, but by increasing the bittering hops you are increasing the bitterness and that changes the balance of the beer.

That 15 minute addition is for flavor. 2-5 minutes remaining would be for aroma. I like dry hopping for aroma better than very late boil additions.

Back