Hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
I'm sitting here texting a friend about dry hopping, and I told him "don't dry hop until fermentation is done otherwise the aroma will get carried out by the CO2." That is the general consensus that I have heard around here.

If this is true
, then wouldn't it kind of be a waste to do late hop additions? I mean if you we aren't allowed to add hops during fermentation, then why should we even add them at or just before flame out???

I'm guessing that the the heat of the wort at flameout does something to better incorporate the aromatics from the hops.

Late hop additions (within the last 5 minutes of the boil) will add moderate hop flavor/aroma. This is adequate for many styles but if you want intense, fresh hop aroma dry hopping is one of the best and simplest methods. Dry hopping between fermentation and bottling (usually within a week of bottling) will help you get the freshest aroma from your hops.

It's all about the molecular weight of the aroma oils. Heat aids in the extraction of heavier oils, but it drives the lightest ones out of the wort. CO2 transports the lighter oils, so delaying dry hopping gives you the lightest aromas. Look at all the small peaks on the left, that's dry hopping.

gc-ms-Beer.jpg

Cool answer. I figured aroma was aroma but I guess not. David, what instrument did you use, and what do you do for a living?

And he even pulled out a fancy graph! Nice!!! david_42 you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.

Back