hop aroma loss in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
i've been kegging exclusively for several months now and it seems to me that hop aroma drops off quicker in a keg than a bottle. stands to reason, since there's more headspace developing as the keg is consumed.

do others concur?

i think i'll bottle some out of the keg at intervals on the next hoppy beer i do to see if it's just my imagination.

Good question. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this. My second kegged batch was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Decent bitterness, but no hop aroma. I thought I just made a bad batch.

Good question. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this. My second kegged batch was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Decent bitterness, but no hop aroma. I thought I just made a bad batch.

a great beer, but there's not a lot of hop aroma in that one to start with. iirc, the last hop addition is a small one at 5 min.

I've been doing a little testing in this area, and while not definitive, it seems that my force carbed IPAs hold the aroma longer than the naturally carbed versions (less yeast vs more yeast in the keg)

I just re-dry hop as needed. I've never bottled much, so I can't make a comparison.

Latest posts

Back