Hop Allergies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I think after brewing for well over 25 years I have discovered I am allergic to certain levels of hops. Had a very good Mosiac IPA from sarnac last night. It's a 75 IBU beer and I got a coughing fit and sneezing and runny nose from it. I've had a sneezing fit before from smelling hops before adding to the brew. Just not a reaction like this when drinking an IPA. I wonder if it's the Mosaic in particular because that's a new hop for me? I had no problem when drinking the Clementine Pale Ale, I think that was only 25 IBU.

My wife believes she's allergic to hops. She hasn't been diagnosed, but she sneezes and coughs while drinking some APAs and pretty much all IPAs, regardless of the type of hops. She finds a way to power through it though.

I've heard more than one anecdote from people that some beers will cause them to get stuffy after drinking it.

Had a friend with an allergy to yeast. Never heard of a hop allergy but it's quite possible.

That's gotta suck...

While not a true allergy, my wife has a bad beer reaction:

She has rheumatoid arthritis (since the age of 6) and recently discovered that she has a mild flare up if she drinks wheat beer the night before.

Her favorite beer? Blue moon. FML.

I've been slowly converting her to APA's and Blonde Ales.

Back