Hop additions for IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emillswrx

Reaction score
I'm preparing to brew an imperial IPA and my goal I to achieve a hop monster in the aroma and flavor categories, but not something overpoweringly bitter. My consistently favorite brewery is Lagunitas and I want to emulate their aromas (maximus, little sumpin, sucks as my favorite examples). My hops available are the following

1oz Columbus 13%
.5oz Chinook 11%
2oz cascade 6%
2oz simcoe 7%
1oz Amarillo 5%

I'm an extract brewer and I have 6.6lbs of LME, 2lbs of DME, and 1lb of corn sugar going into this batch, trying to get my OG around 1.085-1.090.

I'm planning on adding the high alpha hops for 60 min and im debating about when to add the rest. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm tempted to try the following:

60 min: Columbus and Chinook
30 min 1oz cascade,
15 min 1 oz simcoe,
0 min .5 cascade, .5 Amarillo

dry hop w .5 Amarillo and 1oz simcoe.

whaddya think?

I would double your dry hops and add another ounce five days before bottling. Are you adding dextrose to the boil?

Oops just saw you are, looks solid. Let me know how it turns out. I'm planning a double black ipa but having trouble deciding the chocolate malt percentage

I also read in zymurgy that if you want fuller body less bitter go for a lower boil temp around 151F

sethlovex said:
I would double your dry hops and add another ounce five days before bottling. Are you adding dextrose to the boil?

Yes, I'm adding 1lb of dextrose to the boil

Back