Hop AA loss over time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
I just bought some Cascade from LHBS and they are listed as 7.6AA on the package. They are still brand new in the package, but they say 2008 crop on them. They are whole leaf kind. Will I need to adjust the amount I use in a recipe since they are a year old? The recipe calls 1oz of pellet Cascades at 5.5AA, so it looks like I have some math to do :)

Also, on an unrelated note, im just about to bottle my lager thats been lagering for like 2 months now after a 1 month primary, so Im going to add some yeast at bottling to help it carb up faster. I was thinking about just rehydrating 1/4 packet of notty and mixing it in well in the bottle bucket. Is this the right process?
Thanks

When I plug this into beersmith, it says that the hops have lost almost everything at this point, assuming that they were kept on the store shelves at 68F. But beersmith does not have an option for new hops, I think that it just means ones that people have repackaged.

No one knows? I just opened them and they still smell fine, like any other cascade ive smelled.

this was posted by superior brew in an older thread.
use the google search under the search function "hop storage life" to bring up the complete thread.

from superior brew:
I just ran some Cascade thru Beersmith's Hop Age feature:

Vacuum packed 0º
0 months 6.9%
12 months 6.11%
24 months 5.42%
36 months 4.8%
48 months 4.25%
60 months 3.77%

Poly Bag 0º
0 months 6.9%
12 months 5.42%
24 months 4.25%
36 months 3.34%
48 months 2.62%
60 months 2.06%

It's hard to say really. With leaf hops there is prolly some degradation. With pellets kept cold and without O2, not so sure. I brewed an APA once with some at least 18 month old Centennial pellets that were marked as being 13% AA. I used the beersmith hop age calculator and it figured them at 9%. I adjusted appropriately. Guess what happened? A way over bittered APA.

Also, on an unrelated note, im just about to bottle my lager thats been lagering for like 2 months now after a 1 month primary, so Im going to add some yeast at bottling to help it carb up faster. I was thinking about just rehydrating 1/4 packet of notty and mixing it in well in the bottle bucket. Is this the right process?
Thanks

You should just get some lager yeast for that, Saflager S-23 or something. Although unlikely, you don't want to add a yeast strain at bottling that may be more attenuative than your primary strain. Kaboom, if you know what I mean.

hey rod, how bout a link to that tread you're quoting? Tried the search and i'm not seeing it in the first page... and i'm too lazy to look further than that....

thanks

Back