Hoo Boy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed an extract Pilsner:

.75 pounds Crystal #10 lb / .5 lb Munich steeping grains

6.6 pounds Pilsen Light LME

Hallertau hops

2 Packs Wyeast Czech Pilsen #2278

Everything went fine. Chilled the wort, topped off with 2 gallons of very cold water, aerated, pitched the yeast at 49°F and put the Kegmenter into the refrigerator set to 50°.

Cleaning up I realized I’m a moron. Actually, I already knew that but I discovered that I forgot to add the second 3.3 lb can of Briess CBW Pilsen Light LME to the boil.

So I mixed the LME with some water on the stovetop, brought it to a boil, added it to the Kegmenter and gave it a good stir.

So, on a scale from “it won’t be great” to “undrinkable” how badly did I screw this up? Cheers.

Calculate what the overall temperature was after adding the extra extract and water. That should give you a pretty good idea of what it did to the yeast. Also, if your water has chloramine, boiling didn't do much for reducing it - you might have some chlorophenol off flavors.

Back