Honeymoon Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malferes

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's the recipe for my Honeymoon Mead.
5 gallon batch
6lbs carrot blossom honey
6lbs sage blossom honey
3lbs Oregon clover honey
lalvin 7ib-1122 champagne yeast
yeast nutrient
12.5% abv

Michael

Sounds like a good mix of honeys, Michael. I personally prefer D47 yeast in a traditional mead, rather than 71B, but I know that's mostly a matter of personal preference, and I like to sur lie age my traditionals a bit.

With 71B, you'll want to rack off the lees as soon as the mead has dropped clear, or you could end up with some funky (and not nice) aromas and flavors from autolysis of that yeast.

Wayne,
Thanks for the response...I started this batch in August of 08, racked in February 09, 30ppm So2 addition in Mid April. It has cleared and now is a brilliant golden amber. I have not noticed any off flavors or aromas. I am bottling this weekend
thanks again
Michael

It's mead that we have to thank for the honeymoom in the first place. But I'm betting you already knew that. I just read it Papazians book the other day :)

I made the mead for my Son's wedding. I was hoping it would have been ready for the ceremony (July 17), but close enough....

Michael

Tonight I shall be opening a bottle of mead my father and i brewed for my sister's wedding 6 years ago :) ginger mead.

Back