Honey Wheat partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badranath

Reaction score
I came across a honey wheat from a small brewer in Ohio called Mad Bee Honey Wheat and it was fantastic. It looks like the brewery that made it is no longer in operation so i can't buy more.

2LB light DME
3LB wheat malt
8 oz honey malt
1lb dextrine
2lbs honey - added at flameout
1oz hallertau - 60 mins

OG = 1051 FG = 1013 IBU = 16

I think it is best to mash the honey malt so I'll do it with some wheat malt and then use extract instead of 2 row. I want some honey sweetness up front from the honey malt but not alot of sweetness otherwise. I want it to finish crisp. The 2lbs of honey is there to boost OG and hopefully add some aroma/floral flavor. Do any of you guys see any problems with the recipe?

If you want more honey aroma, wait until after primary fermentation dies down then add it.

Depending on how you mash you might want to mix in some rice hulls to help lauter (if you are just mashing in a bag it shouldn’t be an issue).

Honey is highly fermentable, so you may want to mash hot to preserve some sweetness (to get an FG of 1.013 you’d need to get just 60% attenuation on the non-honey portion of the grist).

Good luck

Back