Honey Wheat Beer in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
OK, typical noobie question,

All my other ales I have been letting sit in primary 4 to 5 weeks.

Is wheat beer the same?

The beer had an OG of 1.050

Wyeast American Wheat (1010)

It seems to be going well so far quick lag time (6 hours)

I'm bottling a hefeweizen tonight that has been in the primary for ten days. OG was 1.048 checked last night and FG is 1.010. I used WLP 300 Hefeweizen. The aromas coming from it are amazing and of course I sampled it and WOW. Brewed true to standard and tastes like it.

I think you'll be fine if fermentation is done and you hit your FG number.

So the primary time should be what? 3weeks? maybe another 3 weeks bottled?

I let mine go 2 weeks in the primary then re-rack to secondary for 2 more weeks. Bottle and store at room temp for 7 days, then move to garage at 50F for 7 days, then enjoy.

So the primary time should be what? 3weeks? maybe another 3 weeks bottled?

IMHO I wouldn't leave in primary for more than 2 weeks. You could bottle from there or rack to secondary to let it clear up a bit, time is up to you 1-2 weeks at a cooler temp "cold crash", then bottle. It's all personal preference. As long as you hit your FG you should be good.

IMHO I wouldn't leave in primary for more than 2 weeks. You could bottle from there or rack to secondary to let it clear up a bit, time is up to you 1-2 weeks at a cooler temp "cold crash", then bottle. It's all personal preference. As long as you hit your FG you should be good.

Is it because beers like this require less time?

Is it because beers like this require less time?

Actually I think they're trying to tell you that your normal primary time of 4-5 weeks is longer than necessary. I rarely go more than 2 weeks in the primary. That's my personal preference--once my gravity is static (and reasonably close to my expected FG), then I keg that puppy.

I don't think that 4-5 weeks on primary will hurt your beer, I just don't think it will really help either...and I'd rather be drinking it.

Actually I think they're trying to tell you that your normal primary time of 4-5 weeks is longer than necessary. I rarely go more than 2 weeks in the primary. That's my personal preference--once my gravity is static (and reasonably close to my expected FG), then I keg that puppy.

I don't think that 4-5 weeks on primary will hurt your beer, I just don't think it will really help either...and I'd rather be drinking it.

Exactly. Well put :mug:

Back