Honey Tangerine Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
Boil 1 gallon
Full batch - roughly 1.75 gallons (in two 1 gallon glass carboys)
ABV approximately 6.57%
(I was really only planing on 1.5 gallons, which would've been a little over 7% ABV, but ended up just filling the carboys up a bit more...I'm okay with a bottle or two extra for a slightly lower ABV)

3# Wheat LME
3 oz honey (6 tablespoons)

Steeping Grains
1 oz Crystal 60L
1 oz Biscuit
0.5 oz Chocolate

1.5 tablespoons dried tangerine for 60 minutes
1.5 tablespoons dried tangerine for 10 minutes

a pinch (maybe 4 pieces) whitbread golding for 60 minutes
a pinch whitbread golding for 10 minutes

Tasted this as it was brewing, and after I pulled it off the heat to cool.
It tastes quite good. I can't wait for this to finish fermenting and aging
a bit. Should be great.

Looks good to me. Id try it. Ive used tangerien befor it was tasty.the honey wont flavor it will dry it out. At least in my exsp

Hmm....how would one get honey flavor into a brew, if that is the case? I've only used honey once so far, and I can't remember if I could taste it any or not. It was few months ago.

Hmm....how would one get honey flavor into a brew, if that is the case? I've only used honey once so far, and I can't remember if I could taste it any or not. It was few months ago.

If you add the honey after the boil, once it is in cool and in the fermenter, or even as the boil kettle is cooling below 130-F, you will retain more of the honey character.

--LexusChris

Thanks Lexus. I did some research and found that out, and I'm thinking about maybe adding it to the secondary...in place of any backsweetening that would take place. I also found (in another thread here, if I remember) that Bohemian pils grain is supposed to offer a honey flavor (I think that's which grain it was).

You could also try a small amount of Honey Malt from Gambrinus Malting Corporation. It will impart some honey flavor to the beer.

Thanks hopsimus, I'll look into that. :)

Just an FYI for anyone coming to check this out...I took this one off the yeast last night (so it fermented for
almost 2 weeks), and took a little taste. It is going to be fantastic! I do wish it had a little more of that honey
flavor...but I have some ideas on how to fix that next time. This is definitely a keeper recipe, though.

Well, this one has been sitting and chilling, playing it cool in the bottle for over a month now. It was good before. All the flavors are intermingling and having fun with one another, and its getting REAL good now.

Back