Honey Source in CO?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matrix4b

Reaction score
Hi All,

I used to shop at Madahava's Honey in Lyons, CO. They used to have a 42 pound bucket size. Now only 60 pound by special 2 week poor. Also, the price went up. They are not only increasing their prices but don't feel that Brewers should get their wholesale prices. So they have become unaffordable for me. "We want to make money from our honey and the prices we had we were not. Also,

Does anybody have a source for, preferably, Alphafa honey, for as close to $2.00 a pound and I need to get the honey this weekend. But overall I need to find a new source for good unfiltered honey in bulk. I would be fine with contacting people directly from the apriaries but I have no contact info.

Can anybody help a fellow brewer with a hook up?

Matrix

I'm interested in this info too. The Google shows a bunch of honey wholesalers in CO, but I don't have experience with any of them. I'm just outside of Denver...where are you located? You may give Redstone Meadery in Boulder a call to check where they get their honey?

I'm interested in this info too. The Google shows a bunch of honey wholesalers in CO, but I don't have experience with any of them. I'm just outside of Denver...where are you located? You may give Redstone Meadery in Boulder a call to check where they get their honey?

I am actually in Thornton. Looking on the web I see that Rice's Honey in Greely might be good. Ofcourse Madhava's but There is where I have had some friction. I talked to one guy in Lakewood but he wanted $4/lb. Outragious. So, I don't know. One in fort collins and one near durango looks promising but no call backs yet.

I have a card someone gave me for an apriary in Lakewood but not sure about it yet.

I wish I knew where to go for contacts to local apriarys

Matrix

I get mine from Schmidt Apiaries. The guy has a little shop in a shed in his side yard and has good prices. He has hives all over Colorado but I think most of his bees are in black forest. if you google them you will get his number and I bet he would send it to you for standard shipping rates or if he wants to charge you extra PM me and I would be glad to pick it up and ship it at cost.

You guys are spoilt! The cheapest I have found over here is £2.50 a lb.. thats like $4 even by todays prices... how the hell do you all find people selling it for half that?

Where I am from we had a terrible honey year. My bees really didn't start storing honey until mid July. That coupled with the fact that my bees are in their first year and I don't think I'll be harvesting any honey. I talked to a few people who also have also had bad years. So honey prices might be reflected in that. You would actually be able to find better prices with a small hobby beekeeper who does keep bees for a living, but rather for fun.

Where I am from we had a terrible honey year. My bees really didn't start storing honey until mid July. That coupled with the fact that my bees are in their first year and I don't think I'll be harvesting any honey. I talked to a few people who also have also had bad years. So honey prices might be reflected in that. You would actually be able to find better prices with a small hobby beekeeper who does keep bees for a living, but rather for fun.

I would love to find some hobby beekeepers in CO. That's the trouble. I don't know any and haven't the first idea on how to find them.

I want to expand my honey source but I still only go through about 60-120 pounds a year. Eh, only about 6 batches a year, so I'm kinda small time.

If anybody out there is a hobby beekeeper near the denver metro or actually anywhere from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins and Boulder to Denver, that general area then I'd be happy to hear from you. Or if you know people.

My problem is finding them.

Matrix

I just ordered from honeyvillecolorado.com, flat rate shipping! :) they people I talked to on the phone were Great!

I will be making my first melomel next week. :mug::mug:

I would love to find some hobby beekeepers in CO. That's the trouble. I don't know any and haven't the first idea on how to find them.

I want to expand my honey source but I still only go through about 60-120 pounds a year. Eh, only about 6 batches a year, so I'm kinda small time.

If anybody out there is a hobby beekeeper near the denver metro or actually anywhere from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins and Boulder to Denver, that general area then I'd be happy to hear from you. Or if you know people.

My problem is finding them.

Matrix

I would suggest that you attend the local beekeeping association meeting. Meet a few people and ask some questions. You could also go to some forums on beekeeping and see if you can find somebody in your area.

Back