Honey Score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's honey season.
Crockett Honey is just a couple of miles from my house. 12# bucket of orange blossom, desert flower, or clover honey. $26

I picked up a 60# bucket of clover honey for $115.
Can't beat fresh honey for less than $2 a pound.
I'm making 10 gallons of mead tonight.

So you have all the honey you could dream of using, but the yeast is questionable. That's horrible.

So you have all the honey you could dream of using, but the yeast is questionable. That's horrible.

So is the honey. There have been warnings about Chinese honey for a couple of years. Reports indicate that Chinese honey has been found to be contaminated with chloramphenicol, an antibiotic that is banned in food products in the U.S. because of its potentially life threatening effects.

That's why it's important to know where your honey comes from and why cheap honey isn't always a good buy.

And that would be talking about processed honey, pasteurized and treated with the said chemical, exported to the US... not the raw honey i get from the bee farmers in the mountain villages...
Remember the stuff you guys get which is made in China may not even be available here...
But yeah, yeast might still be a problem.

Anyone in the Cincinnati area have a suggestion for good honey? I went to Listermann's got a few pounds there, and some more at Findlay Market.

Don Popp's is what I bought at Findlay at $18/5lbs. The farmers market near me (Florence) wanted $7 +/lb, and they wouldn't negotiate for a "bulk" buy.

Don Popp's is what I bought at Findlay at $18/5lbs. The farmers market near me (Florence) wanted $7 +/lb, and they wouldn't negotiate for a "bulk" buy.

Seeing something similar here. At the farmers market there are 3 or 4 local beekeeps selling honey. The largest container they will sell is 5# and it runs about $6/lb. It is good stuff and is all locally produced but it is more than I can afford for mead.

I did notice that Northern Brewer has honey for $29/gal (wildflower) and $35/gal (CA orange blossom and Clover) with $6.99 flat rate shipping (free is the order is over $200). It is the best delivered price I have found so far.

Craig

I went to get my 60lb bucket this year from my supplier of raw honey and the price went up from $100 to $120. Plus I needed a gallon of it today because my cyser starter is ready for pitching and he wouldn't have any ready till monday, so I had to find my backup source that sold me 15lbs for $24.

This is gonna be so good, unpasteurized cider and honey that have both only been filtered through basically cheese cloth.

Don't know if it's of any interest, but here, in Italy, 0.5 Kg of local acacia honey is sold at 13 euro, so something like 18 $.

Back