Honey malt in oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like honey malt but be careful as it gets really sweet really fast and can overshadow other flavors.

This is what im working with
goatmealtrout_zps88cfcef4.jpg

Yes. I've used it in an oatmeal stout before. I would not use more than 8oz for a 6g batch.
Thanks for the suggestion, ill keep that in mind!
Honestly, I think you have way too much going on in there. Simplify it. You've only got 55% base malt. I'd bump that to over 70%.
I think you make a great point ill do some adjusting any suggestions what to omit? For the sake of learning could I expect with a low base malt percentage as opposed to recipe that uses more base malt?

I'm after a sweeter oatmeal taste. Creaminess is a must with a hint of honey.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill keep that in mind!

I think you make a great point ill do some adjusting any suggestions what to omit? For the sake of learning could I expect with a low base malt percentage as opposed to recipe that uses more base malt?

I'm after a sweeter oatmeal taste. Creaminess is a must with a hint of honey.
You're going to get sweet, way too much of it. Go ingredient by ingredient and make sure it is contributing to what you want in your beer. Justify each and every one. At a quick glance, the victory and malto-dextrine both stand out as unneeded in this beer. What flavor profile are you going for with the two different chocolate malts? Why add the flaked barley when you're getting the body addition from the flaked oats?

You're going to get sweet, way too much of it. Go ingredient by ingredient and make sure it is contributing to what you want in your beer. Justify each and every one. At a quick glance, the victory and malto-dextrine both stand out as unneeded in this beer. What flavor profile are you going for with the two different chocolate malts? Why add the flaked barley when you're getting the body addition from the flaked oats?

Thanks for the reply. I never though of the base malt to specialty malt ratio, makes sense tho! Ive adjusted base to 70 percent. Ive removed the maltodextrine. Cut back on a few others. ive also dropped from 6 gal to 5.5. ive short changed myself on maris otter, i ordered 8lbs so i changed from 7 to 8.

Victory- id like to impart a biscuity flavor in this recipe, i think it will go well with the oatmeal. not sure if my percentage is right tho. plus i need grain! id like to be around 1.052 og. may not be the best reason, you think it will clash?

Pale and chocolate malt - i chose to use majority pale as it will give a more subtle flavors without being too overwhelming. it will help fill the void between the sweet and darker roasted malts (chocolate and black). the lower amounts of chocolate malt are helping with color. the amount of pale should give a good toasty flavor while regular chocolate gives roasty.

english medium and honey malt - ive paired the two to add the sweetness/caramel to contrast the bitterness from the darker malts. i think it will go well with the oatmeal. almost like adding brown sugar on top of oatmeal. i think 1lb combined should be ok. i didnt want an overwhelmingly honey or caramel beer. i thought by adding both in lower amounts, would bring out more complexity on the sweet side.

black malt - i chose black malt mainly for color, i think it will help with any roasted flavors i may have short changed myself on

what do you think? have i headed in a more positive direction?

goatmealtrout2_zpsbc1b69f9.jpg

If you find it easier to read the direct link is here...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1689793

I still think you have too much going on. The ingredients are going to be muddled. Are you going for a creamy, chocolaty, honey biscuit that has a mild roastiness? That's a lot of competing flavor.

From your earlier posts, I gathered you were going for a honey oatmeal stout. That sounds interesting. Base malt, oatmeal, honey malt, roasted barley. If you want a creamy chocolate stout, replace the honey malt with chocolate. Brew both, taste separately, blend them in the glass and see if it works.

I still think you have too much going on. The ingredients are going to be muddled. Are you going for a creamy, chocolaty, honey biscuit that has a mild roastiness? That's a lot of competing flavor.

From your earlier posts, I gathered you were going for a honey oatmeal stout. That sounds interesting. Base malt, oatmeal, honey malt, roasted barley. If you want a creamy chocolate stout, replace the honey malt with chocolate. Brew both, taste separately, blend them in the glass and see if it works.

Ok, another good point. I am seeing the light!

Base malt, oatmeal, honey malt and roasted barley? Nothin else eh? I dont have any roasted barley. Would you substitute the black malt for that?

Are you familiar with s04 and nottingham? which do you think would work best with this?

any idea on how well ekg and williamette go together? thinking about keeping bitterness roughly what the gravity is 1.048 = 48 ibu. Possibly a tad lower.

id like to keep srm from 25-30 removing chocolate malts brings me to around 15. any suggestions to keep color? should i up black malt, if so what percentage?

id like to keep srm from 25-30 removing chocolate malts brings me to around 15. any suggestions to keep color? should i up black malt, if so what percentage?
You can up the black, or if you want to limit the roastiness add some carafa special III for color.

Between the Nottingham and S04, I'd pick S04 every time.

You can up the black, or if you want to limit the roastiness add some carafa special III for color.

Between the Nottingham and S04, I'd pick S04 every time.
What percentage of the special 3?

what reasons do you prefer s04 in comparison with nottingham?

What percentage of the special 3?

what reasons do you prefer s04 in comparison with nottingham?
Nottingham will give you more attenuation, and it needs more time to clean up flavor wise. If that's what I'm going for in a dry yeast I'll use US-05 which I find gives a cleaner flavor than the Notty.

Ok s04 sounds good. I'm gonna stop by lhbs to see if they have any grain solely for color. What you think of my hop schedule?

Back