Honey Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew an extract Honey Kolsch...Couple questions...What's the ideal primary fermentation temp? (using Wyeast 2565 Kolsch)...Is there any benefit to a cold secondary fermentation? (what temp?) I plan a 2 week primary and a 1 week secondary before i keg.

Crisp & clean is what i'm going for...thanks for the info. I couldn't find the temp recommendations on the wyeast website. Thanks for the link.

Briess LME 3.3#
Pilsen Light DME 3#
Lt. Munich 8 oz.
Vienna 4 oz.
Hallertau 1 oz. (Bittering)
Hallertau .5 oz. (Aroma)
Orange Blossom Honey 1#
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

--I'm reading that the best time to add the honey is anywhere from last 10 mins of boil to right at flameout. Not sure what I'll do yet. I plan to brew on Friday, keg it, and roll it out at my 4th of July picnic. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did my honey brown's honey addition right at flameout, it was tasty, a little bit of honey flavor but a fair amount of dryness because the honey tends to ferment dry.

Good luck!

FWIW i added honey (orange blossom) at approx high krausen.... (different style of beer)...wonderful results.

So you added the honey right into your primary bucket/carboy? what style was it? what effect did the honey have?

So you added the honey right into your primary bucket/carboy? what style was it? what effect did the honey have?

Yessir exactly - after it had been fermenting for a day or two and was still nice and foamy on top, i tossed in the orange blossom honey. Hard to say exactly the effect of this, it was my first time trying it. I THINK it retained a bit more of the smells the honey had...I did warm (not boil) it on the stove with a bit of water so i could pour it in a carboy a bit easier.

Yeah, light LME would've been my guess. Thanks for posting, and let us know how it turns out. I once made Papazian's Kolsch, but felt it lacked "something." I'm hoping you've found the right something here!

The Kolsch turned out pretty good. It was a crowd pleaser (but maybe because it lacked any real intense tastes)...very light, sweet & malty...which is the idea for the style...worked well at a picnic with 90 degree temps & people used to drinking miller lite-type beer. I decided against using honey, which looking back, would've increased dryness & probably made it better.

Back