Honey in my brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
G'day,

I was wondering, what the difference between brewing honey
and ordenairy off the shelf honey.

Could someone tell me and how much of either should i use in
a 18 ltr / 5 gallon brew.

Im looking for a slight honey flavour.

use honey malt for honey flavor. i think brewing honey is the same as ordinary off the shelf honey and it will ferment almost completely leaving very little if any flavor, honey malt will guarantee a honey flavor. don't use too much though, it's strong stuff 1/2 to 1 oz in a 5 gallon batch is plenty.

You can add 1 or 2 pounds of honey at the end of your boil for a 5 gallon batch. Honey is honey, no difference in brewing honey. All honey is going to be different, some batches more concentrated than others, local, fresh honey in your brew will help keep allergies away.

I add the darkest honey I can find to the secondary. I get it from a beekeeper who says they favor is too strong to use in food, and 2 lbs 12 oz does add a lot of character to those beers. If you add it right at flameout the yeast eats all the honey, and leaves the malt less fermented like youngsters on junkfood before dinner. The first time I did this my FG was 10 points high, adding it to secondary gave great results.

To all that have replied,Thank you.

I've never done a secondary ferment before,so i think I she'll go with the
Honey malt first time round, and when I read more into secondary, then I'll
Go with the off the shelf method to taste the difference and to which I would
Like the most.

Thank you.

Back