Honey in Apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
Instead of adding 2 lbs of corn sugar to Edworts Apfelwien I want to use honey. How much honey would I use in place of the corn sugar?

Not sure of the exact conversion, but I've been using 2lbs of Orange Blossom Honey in place of the corn sugar.

I used 1.5 pounds of wildflower in mine. I don't know about Edwort's recipe, that's just what I did and it is good.

Honey is 75% sugar. The tricky part is that it isn't like sugar in liquid; it doesn't dissolve in water like sugar, it mixes with water because it is already a solution. There is a difference between adding pure mass like sugar and adding another solution like honey. Adding honey to a recipe adds volume, not just mass. There's no such thing as a "simple" adjustment for honey vs sugar. Additional volume must be part of the equation.

Long story short, honey is going to change the character of the drink, it won't be Ed's Apfelwein. It will be something else, for better or worse. Hopefully better!

When you add honey to apples its called cyser. There are a few threads about it do a search here. I plan on making some today.

Latest posts

Back