honey brown recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yumbrownies

Reaction score
Working on a honey brown recipe. Here’s what I’m thinking at present:

7# amber LME

Steeping grains: (30 min at 160*)
8oz extra dark crystal
8oz honey malt
4oz chocolate malt
4oz biscuit malt

Hops (pellet):
1oz Challenger @ 60
.5oz Fuggles @20
.5oz Fuggles @5

OR
Willamette instead of Challenger
OR
All Fuggles

Yeast: Wyeast 1098 British Ale OR 1335 British Ale II

Any thoughts/suggestions? :mug:

Wouldn't adding honey just start the fermentation back up and cause the beer to dry out? I was under the impression that most of the time you try to get honey flavors from the malts rather than from actual honey.

I'd be cautious with the honey malt. I did a honey brown and used 4 ounces of honey malt and it was almost cloying. I'd probably go with 2 to start and if you really dig it add more on a rebrew.

Interesting...I did a honey brown with a full pound of honey malt and the flavor was barely even noticeable.

Yeah, I've heard different things about honey malt. Haven't used it before so I'm relying on other peoples' experiences, and it sort of seemed like the rough consensus was that half a pound in a 5 gal batch was an acceptable amount. I suppose it could depend on what else you having going on in terms of hops and dark malts. I'm kind of thinking of going to a light/golden LME and upping the chocolate a tad.

How'd this project go? I'm looking for a recipe for a honey brown to brew for a buddy's wedding this summer, and I don't have a clue where to start.

How'd this project go? I'm looking for a recipe for a honey brown to brew for a buddy's wedding this summer, and I don't have a clue where to start.

It turned out great. Dark brown, slightly sweet and roasty. Actually brewed it for my own wedding this summer and it was a big hit. Here's the recipe I ended up going with (5 gal batch):

7# golden light LME (added at start of boil)

Steep for 30min:
4oz C-40
6oz C-160ish ("extra dark crystal")
6oz pale chocolate 225
4oz special roast
4oz special B
6oz gambrinus honey

60min boil (~4gal)
1oz Wilamette pellets @ T=0
.5oz Fuggles @ T=40
.5oz Fuggles @ T=55

Wyeast 1335