Honey Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
Honey Brown Ale Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet

that is the instructions and inventory of my brew
I started it last thursday and when i woke up today the airlock had basically no activity after being active the past 5 days. i know i do not know fermentation really without checking the SG thus was just lookin for some pointers...should i rack to a secondary, leave it, followe the 1-2-3 rule. just lookin for some guidance from people much brighter than i in this hobby.

THANKS a lot in advance

do a SG with your hydro. whats your FG supposed to be? what was your OG?

Check your SG. If you can't check the SG, wait another week to 10 days and get a hydrometer.

i have a hydrometer....im not sure what the FG is supposed to be..how do i find that out? i just know my OG was about 1.050 as it was supposed to be.

im just trying to figure out whats the best next move

I like to let mine sit for 10-12 days before racking to secondary, and I don't even check the gravity before that. If you take it off the yeast too soon it won't have a chance to clean up potential off flavors, plus fermentation still could be happening even though you see no airlock activity. It just slows down near the end, especially with honey in the recipe. In fact I'll suggest giving it 14 days before racking because of the honey. Either way there is not much reason to check gravity until you're ready rack it.

If you used the Safbrew S-33 listed with the kit, beer calculus says to expect a FG of 1.012 - 1.014. I'd check it after a week, and if that's where it is then you can rack to secondary if you want. Or you could just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks and go straight to bottle/keg.

No reason to rush things, stick to 1-2-3. A hydro reading would be nice to have but not really that useful. As long as it gets 3 weeks conditioning, it shouldn't matter that much when or if you rack to secondary.

Latest posts

Back