Honey beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reapernazara

Reaction score
Im wanting to get a beer kit with honey. A while back my uncle made a honey wheat beer, was not a kit, that both my wife and I enjoyed. My wife does not like beer that one is the exception, my uncle did not write down the recipe or make it again. So I would like to start out with a kit, ive never made beer, but I have some mead brewing right now and have made some excellent apple cider, and thats why I want a kit. Anyhow I dont know which one to get, I was looking at the honey weizen on midwest supplies but I see reviews stating that it has a strong banana flavor and I hate banana. If I could please get some suggestions and if you could post what flavors I could expect from it also it would be much appreciated.

I haven't made it, but the White House Honey Ale is widely talked about and seems to be a crowd pleaser.

Just some general notes about what you posted:
1. The banana flavor in a weizen will come from the yeast used. If you like the sound of the recipe, you could substitute a more neutral yeast (like S-05 or 04)

2. If you are looking for a stronger honey flavor, I'd recommend something that contains honey malt (this would not be part of an extract only kit, but would be a steeping/mini mash kit). Honey ferments out and doesn't leave a big flavor or aroma of honey in the finished beer. Honey malt however, does - and a little goes a long way.

Check out some of the bigger online retailers (midwest, northernbrewer, austin homebrew, rebel brewer) and browse through their kits. Good luck!

Everything Doc said. Honey malt is a great malt if you are searching for that honey flavor, I highly recommend trying it. And again as previously mentioned, go easy with it to begin with. (ie half pound for five gallons to start with).

Be aware that honey won't impart a honey flavor. It does leave a subtle but distinctive flavor that I like but it isn't honey. As stevo said, honey malt will give you some of that. As for the White House Honey ale, I have made the "official" extract version that they released and also an all grain version. Both have been very popular with my family and friends.

I haven't made it, but the White House Honey Ale is widely talked about and seems to be a crowd pleaser.

^^^ This.

I have made it, and it was a very popular beer with everyone who had some. Including my wife.

I used the NorthernBrewer.com kit. This was like the 3rd or 4th beer I ever brewed. I found the instructions easy to follow and got a great result.

Good luck!

I really am starting to think you work for them.

The White House recipe is decent, but I would back off the honey. It can be too thin the way it is. I did an all grain version and an extract, and liked the extract better.

Adding 4-8 oz of honey to almost any basic wheat beer recipe would give you something good. Add it at the end of the boil.

Buy a Blonde beer kit and add 1/2 lb honey malt, it would be easy drinking the wife would like it probably.:)

No, Eric, I don't work for them, but a) it's what I know at this point in my brewing "career" and b) the opening post said that the guy is a beginner looking for a kit for brewing a beer using honey.

My answer addresses his question and provides enough information for him to look into it further if he is interested, no?

No, Eric, I don't work for them, but a) it's what I know at this point in my brewing "career" and b) the opening post said that the guy is a beginner looking for a kit for brewing a beer using honey.

My answer addresses his question and provides enough information for him to look into it further if he is interested, no?

yes, yes, yes.

Back