Honey beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramsey89

Reaction score
Brand new to brewing and the forum so i apologize if i am misusing the forum in any way. I got in to brewing to make mead but when i found out it takes 6-12 months after bottling i was discouraged. However i still have 15 gallons of some very generic honey that i was going to use. Does anyone have a recommendations for an easy honey beer recipe? Thoughts?

Your totally misusing this place!!!!!!!!! Lol sorry I had to. First welcome to the forum, I think you will find what your looking for in the recipe database. I would link it for you but Im on the phone app not a computer right now. Maybe a nice Honey wheat??

Whomever advised 6-12 months after bottling gave you bad info....because you really look at the whole picture, not specifically after bottling. A good rule of thumb for aging mead is 1 month of bulk aging for each % ACV--and aging starts when your mead has reached its natural final SG (at least for me). It can take 30days - 6 months, or longer, just for a mead to hit FG. But when aging you have bulk vs bottle. Some rush to bottle for various reasons, or may bottle everything at 6 months (just how they do it) and others just wait out the bulk aging process--which allows a mead to naturally degas and clear. Once bottled it is quite common to wait another 3 months so the mead can adjust to bottles (see bottle shock).

There are several quick meads, aka short meads, which you can make. JMAO, or Joe's Quick Grape Mead, apple juice/ cider + honey makes for a nice cyser. Regardless...enjoy!

Honestly, we have thrown together a gallon of plain mead (using good honey) and had the entire thing gone by 2 months. You age it to make it good. I know you are just starting with brewing, but at least here, it's not cheap to come by 15 gallons of honey. Use it for mead. You don't need 15# of honey for brewing a honey wheat. However, homemade honey wheats are delicious.

Do you have 15gallons or 15 pounds of honey? If its 15gallons how much did that cost?
Just brew a mead. Use a beer yeast and you could be drinking mead in about 3months...
Igotsand

Back