Honey and cherries - pay dirt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
So in a random conversation with a co-worker about this weekends projects he tells me he spent last weekend gathering five gallons of honey from his own apiary and this weekend he has four trees full of ripe Montmorency cherries that he has to pick and "Oh, what to do with all of this?" The mead gods are good! There is a batch of cherry melomel in the very near future...

Anyone have a sure fire recipe for this? He's supplying the raw ingredients, I'm supplying the equipment and labor (such as it is) and we are going to split the bounty so I need to make it is a first rate effort.

I checked the recipe page and not many recipes use fresh cherries - most use either dried, canned or concentrates.

Any thoughts on a cherry flavored cyser?

I uesd frozen cherries in a gallon mead:
3lbs of honey
1lbs frozen cherries, I used tart cherries ( I have seen as much as a one to one honey/ cherries ratio)
Water to make a gallon
Yeast, fermaid O, etc
Then added a second lb of cherries to the secondary.
I added a vanilla bean to the third rack.
Turned out really good.

I think a cherry cyser would be very good.

Cherries are definitely in season!
Wife and I spent a couple hours farm picking cherries by hand on Father's Day. I spent my time on two or three trees and filled a bucket with over 10lbs. of ripe fruit. Well worth it.

Not only does this sound good, I think the must color would be very interesting.

Back