Honey Ale Super Sweet and Alcohol Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed a partial mash honey ale recipe from the local brew shop. OG was a little high but fermented down right to target FG. Let it set 16 days in primary before bottling. Fermentation temps were kept at 64-65F.

After two weeks opened one bottle, carbonation was still a little low, had a good taste, slight sweet aftertaste with also a bit of alcohol taste.

Just opened a second bottle after 3 weeks, carbonation still not there but the sweetness and alcohol taste were very much more prominent than the first bottle.

I consider myself still a newbie, but I know I am strict (wife says anal) about following brewing and sanitation procedures.

I am posting to get some assurance that the beer will be fine, it just needs some more time in the bottle. OG was 1.069 and FG was 1.018. It worries me that the beer seems to be going backward with time. Any words of encouragement welcome!

It needs age... also the kit probably gave you too much honey, as it's an easy OG booster. Honey is a simple sugar, ferments out nearly completely, leaving little flavor, and can leave your beer's body thin and alcoholy. It might age out to some extent

I'm thinking the sweetness is either you bottled too early or it's the carbonation sugar. No clue

Back