Honey Ale - Really low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to brewing and I have greatly appreciated this community. I've lurked for a few weeks and thought I'd post some questions I have in a new thread. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I brewed my second beer about 2 weeks ago. It was a honey ale from Midwest. Here's the recipe of the kit.

3.3 lb. Gold malt extract
3 lb. Minnesota clover honey
8 oz. Carapils
1 oz. Tettnang
1 oz. Vanguard pellet hops
Wyeast 1056 Yeast

I made a starter a few days prior to pitching. It started showing healthy signs of fermenting about 15 hours after pitching. It's been fermenting in a steady climate controlled environment at 63 degrees.

I took SG before I pitched and it was at 1.046. That was exactly what the directions said it would be.

On Saturday (10 days from brew day) I took a hydro reading. I was surprised that it read 1.002. That seemed really low so I took another reading with another test sample to make sure I didn't get a false reading. It read the same.

Fearing infection, I tasted it and it seemed pretty good. It was a bit on the watery side but it didn't taste like it was spoiled. There was still some sludge on the top, but it looked like yeast to me.

Do you guys think it was just the honey that caused such a low gravity?

Also, when should I bottle? Wednesday will be 2 weeks from brew day.

Cheers and happy brewing. :mug:

My all grain honey ale finished at 1.002 also. It is one fine beer so far. Enjoy yours.

Honey will ferment completely and drop you just about all the way to 1.000. Nothing to worry about, you did fine. You may want to wait just a little bit longer to let things settle before bottling. An extra week of sitting is not going hurt anything.

Back