homemade wine equip

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jkrug

Reaction score
I am pretty new to wine making. I have bought equipment for 6 gal kits, but where can I get 1 or 2 gallon carboys. I dont want to make a 6 gal recipe until I get it just right. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

scurry64

Reaction score
Your LHBS should carry 1 gallon jugs. Those along with a #6 stopper will do the job (and an airlock, of course). I don't recall seeing 2 gallon jugs, but I have several 3 gallon carboys, which I find perfect for small batches of beer and wine.

OP
J

jkrug

Reaction score
My shop only has 3 & 6 gallon. Thank you berry much for info

OP
J

jkrug

Reaction score
My shop only has 3 & 6 gallon. Thank you verry much for info

OP
J

jkrug

Reaction score
My shop only has 3 & 6 gallon. Thank you very much for info.

roadymi

Reaction score
Another option for acquiring glass 1 gal jugs is Gallo wines. They are in most every wine section here. Run around 12.99 with a gallon of wine included. If you don't want to drink it you can rebottle it and use for topping off carboys.

kmdakota1

Reaction score
midwest supplies is great! used to get all my stuff there until Mr. Steves Home Brew opened up just down the road. Although, I may still order from Midwest cause the guy at Mr. Steve's is arrogant, acts like any other brewing method except his is wrong!

guscampag

Reaction score
I have found 1 gallon jugs at garage sales cheap. Better yet, Estate sales! In fact, now I have more than I need because, for me, it's not really worth the bother to make 1 gallon of something. What if it is really good? You'll only have 5 bottles! The 1 gallon jugs are great for fresh apple juice when we press our apples, though!

MarkKF

Reaction score
I got a few from the cheap wine route and a couple from a yard sale. I've been using them for testing different fruits added to cider. In the fall I'll use them for starters for my 6 gallon carboys.

brazedowl

Reaction score
Not to start the debate in this thread, but the blue 5 gallon plastic water jugs from walmart/lowes/foodlion/wherever work like a charm for me.

Honda88

Reaction score
i refuse to clear wine in plastic carboys, glass is just so awesome