Homemade mozzarella on my pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg

Reaction score
Why didn't my cheese melt on my last pie? It was my second cheese...this one I grated. The cheese did not melt on the pie....each lttle tiny piece of cheese only hardenedand browned INDIVIDUALLY!

It was the first time my kids would not eat the pizza.

Did I do something wrong with the cheese? Too much or too little water??

HELP!

Bill

I am far from an expert, but my guess would be to much rennet...

When I made my first mozzerella, I was cutting the recipie in half and somehow forgot to half the rennet... My cheese (sliced not grated) did not melt much at all, it tasted good and browned, but did not melt or get strechy. Next time I made it I ralized my mistake and, amazingly, the cheese actually stretched like taffy, and when on the pizza it melted wonderfully...

So try less rennet...

I had this problem once...I think that it was just because I had squeezed TOO MUCH water from the Curd.
Just as a point of interest, Caso Fresca (I know...Bad Spelling) does not melt no matter what you do to it. Maybe research the similarities between the two.

Back